Equality, diversity and inclusion networks
Victim Support has internal EDI networks that are open to all staff and volunteers across England and Wales. These networks are there to:
- provide a platform for specific equality groups to network and share experiences and information
- ensure that the voices and experiences of those from marginalised communities are an integral part of our equality, diversity and inclusion strategy
- embed values of equality, diversity and inclusion across Victim Support.
The aim of each of the networks is to explore the issues affecting the communities and identities that they represent and to increase knowledge and awareness within the organisation. Having an understanding of the issues affecting specific communities can help our staff and volunteers to deliver a better service for victims.
The networks support the organisation by:
- acting as consultative groups for EDI related projects, policies and strategies
- providing support to staff and volunteers around specific identities and communities
- raising awareness of issues affecting their community
- organising awareness events for volunteer and staff teams
- acting as visible role models and EDI champions.
There are currently six networks:
- Disability network
- Faith & Belief network
- Gender Empowerment network
- Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Trans + (LGBT+) network
- Mental Health and Wellbeing network
- R.A.C.E (Race, Ancestry, Culture and Ethnicity) Inclusive network.
All the networks have a Chair or Lead who manage the activities of the networks. On Victim Support’s intranet, the networks have dedicated pages with a range of information to engage, inform and share, such as blogs, discussion boards, awareness and learning and videos.
All networks also have ‘allies’ who support network activities. These are members of staff or volunteers who would like to know more about the identities and experiences of those within each of the networks but are not from the specific group the network represents. Allies can support any network by supporting network activities and development and can sign up to receive the same communications as ‘members’.