When you’re out and about, it’s important to take some sensible precautions to stay safe.
- Make travel plans in advance and let your family or friends know when and where you’re going.
- Stick to busy, well-lit areas and keep close to a group if you feel unsafe.
- Book a licensed cab in advance or hail a black cab (Hackney Carriage) from the street. Only black cabs can be hailed from the street so don’t try to hail a minicab without booking it in advance – and never accept a lift from a stranger.
- Think about carrying a personal safety alarm with you when you’re out.
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings – don’t wear your headphones when you’re out alone.
- Don’t keep all your valuables in one place. Try to keep them in different pockets or areas of your bag.
- If you feel worried or threatened on public transport, contact the guard or the British Transport Police.
For more advice and tips on staying safe: