Victim Support Cumbria run specialist services for victims of domestic abuse who are at high risk of serious harm.
The services are run by our Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs). They are fully experienced, trained and accredited to provide a quality, safe and effective service.
Support is free and confidential to adults aged 16+ who are experiencing domestic violence and abuse.
What do Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs) do?
IDVAs look at the safety of victims at high risk of harm from partners, ex-partners or family members. They work to make sure victims and their children are safe.
An IDVA will work with you to make sure your needs and risks are looked after. They’ll work towards reducing your risk, supporting you to move on from domestic abuse and begin your recovery.
Some of the things an IDVA can do include:
- Helping increase security in your home
- Exploring housing, including emergency accommodation
- Listening to your worries and concerns
- Helping you find other services, like counselling, housing, legal and refuge services
- Give advice on the civil and/or criminal justice system
- Support you through any potential court case.