Terrorist attacks are sudden and unpredictable and generally calculated to create a climate of fear or terror among the public.

A terror attack can lead to an ongoing feeling of insecurity.

You might be exposed to repetitive and disturbing media images and accounts of the event. This means there may be ‘hiddenʼ victims — people who have been affected but weren’t directly caught up in the attacks.

If you have been affected by the conflict between Israel and Hamas, or any terrorist incident, this page contains information on how to get help and contains links (to other sites) you may find useful.

The process of coming to terms with serious injuries can be complex and varied, and may involve a range of reactions and emotions.

Some people can suffer from prolonged, severe, debilitating and overwhelming symptoms, such as depression and an inability to cope with daily life.

People’s feelings and reactions are not static and can change from day to day.

If you’re seriously injured in a terrorist attack, you might need long-term medical treatment, suffer employment issues and have issues around dependence and independence if you can’t initially manage as you did previously.

People who are bereaved are likely to be affected emotionally, psychologically, practically and financially.

You may be in a territory with a British Consulate that can offer help and support while you’re abroad.

The Foreign Office may offer assistance to British citizens and their families who encounter a terrorist incident overseas. This can include medical evacuation, payment of immediate medical expenses and costs involved with returning to the UK.

You might also be entitled to compensation if you find yourself involved in a terror attack abroad.

Victim Support can offer help and advice when contacting any agencies you may need to approach.

  • Escape if you can by considering the safest options.
  • If you cannot find a way to escape then hide.
  • Call 999.

The ProtectUK website has further advice on steps you can take to keep yourself safe.

We can give you the support and information you need to move forward after a terrorist attack.

It’s normal to experience a range of emotions, such as distress, grief, and anxiety after an attack has taken place. If you have travelled abroad then these feelings might not go away after you return to the UK.

However you’re feeling or wherever the attack took place, you can talk to us in complete confidence. We can help, whether or not you reported the crime to the police.

Most people who are affected by crime want to talk to someone about what has happened and how they’re feeling. Friends and family can be very helpful, but our supporters are specially trained to listen and understand.

We can give you information to help you cope with some of the problems a crime has caused. We can also help with contacting any relevant agencies on your behalf, and help you to access any compensation you might be entitled to.

If you’re a foreign tourist or visitor and have been affected by a terrorist attack in England or Wales then we can offer support to you during your stay.

All our services are available to visitors to this country for the duration of your time here. However, our services are only available in England and Wales, so we cannot continue to give support after you return home to another country.

When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask if you’d like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact us directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get our help.

You can get in touch by:

You can also create a free account on My Support Space – an online resource with interactive guides (including guides on coping after experiencing terrorism) to help you manage the impact crime has had on you.

If English is not your first language and you would like support, call our Supportline and let us know which language you speak. We’ll call you back with an interpreter as soon as possible. We also welcome calls via Relay UK and SignLive (BSL).

Families and friends affected by crime can also contact us for support and information. If you’re a child or young person under 18 and are looking for support, visit our children and young people website for information and tips.

Further support and information: