Recognising the signs
All relationships are different. There isn’t such a thing as a ‘normal’ relationship, but there are healthy relationships and unhealthy relationships. If you feel unsafe or recognise any of the negative signs below, take action.
We support all survivors of domestic abuse, regardless of whether the abuse has been reported or when it took place. Our support services are free, confidential and available to anyone who has experienced domestic violence. Contact us for support.
Positive signs – things that are healthy and make us feel safe
- They always treat me with respect, no matter where we are or who we’re with.
- They’re proud of me when I achieve something.
- They encourage me to keep trying with things I find hard.
- They’re comfortable with me spending time away from them, with family and other friends.
- They try to do some of the things I like, such as sports, cinema and music.
- They respect me when I say no or disagree.
- They can talk about their feelings with me.
- They don’t cheat on me, and trust me not to cheat on them.
- They listen to me when we disagree and try to see my point of view.
- They give me compliments and say positive things about me to others.
- They have friends and interests of their own.
- They don’t rush our relationship; we can take it slow.
- They ask my opinion when deciding important things that affect us both.